Skip to main content

Looking at People Looking

"Art does heal: scientists say appreciating creative works can fight off disease." is the headline of a Feb 2015 article in The Telegraph. It says that experiencing art is associated with the following positive emotions: "amusement, awe, compassion, contentment, joy, love and pride." I know this is one of the reasons I love getting a text like this from a former student. Even better is seeing students post pictures of themselves with art, like the one below. All photos were taken in Paris, except the Barnett Newman, taken in NY.


Musee Picasso- I loved their outfits, her tattoos, that she is taller than him and how she was so affectionate.
Fondation Henri Cartier-Bresson. Hardly anyone goes here. Again, I was drawn to her tattoo, the way she held herself the whole time she was looking at the art, and she looked very, very slowly.
Centre Pompidou- Yves Klein. This jovial woman from Spain didn't realize that there was anything in common between her dress and the painting until I showed her this picture.
Musee D'Orsay
The Louvre- Egypt
The Louvre- Seated Scribe, Egyptian 2500 BCE
Institut du Monde Arabe
Institut du Monde Arabe
MOMA- Barnett Newman


Popular posts from this blog

Inspired by Manet's "Last Flowers"

Pinhole Photographs- Manet's deathbed bouquets  

George Washington High School and Art Education

“If an  offense come  out of the  truth ,  better  is it that the  offense come than   that the  truth be concealed .”  Thomas Hardy George Washington High School in San Francisco is unique amongst other institutions bearing Washington's name. It is a treasure trove of New Deal WPA art that includes architecture, bas-reliefs, "buon fresco" murals and freestanding sculptures. These extend from the football field to the library. The school features an "Olympics" frieze by African American sculptor Sargent Johnson, and its architect was the pre-eminent Timothy L. Pflueger. This school, its name and even the site correlate conceptually. It was designed to showcase outstanding art and provoke reflection. The Sargent Johnson frieze In thousands of American high schools, AP Art History students learn about George Washington by studying a sculpture by Houdon. It is described in most textbooks with only a paragraph. On the back of this sculpture is a ...

Image-Sound: Bordaxar

Jean Bordaxar is a composer, singer, musician, and writer/director of "pastorales." I made this photo of him with black and white film near MaulĂ©on, in the Soule (Xiberoa) province of the Basque Country. Years later, I experimented with putting my images to one of his songs.  Video Link.